Popular sports around the world
Quantifiers: many, most, a lot of
Quantifiers are used at the beginning of noun phrases. They are used to express an
amount or a degree of something. They are also used with people.
Look at these examples:
- He has a lot of friends in the championship.
- There aren’t many people in the stadium.
- Most golfer are playing in the big field.
A LOT OF
We use a lot of in informal styles.
A lot of can be used with plural countable nouns and with singular uncountable nouns
for affirmative sentences, but negative sentences, and questions are not commonly
- For example: There are a lot of trees in the field.
- For example: There is a lot of water on the court.
Negative sentences and Questions:
When we use a lot of in negative sentences or questions, we are usually expecting a large quantity of something.
- That’s not a lot of money for a racket.
- Are there a lot of good players at your tennis club?
Note: We omit of when a lot is not followed by a noun.
- Are there a lot of people in horse racing?
- Yes, there are a lot.