W2: My childhood
The use of adjectives: -ing vs. -ed
-ing: Adjetive to describe people or things.
-ed: Adjetive describe feelings
We use adjetives ending in -ing to describe: «Objects or people»
The books were interesting
We use adjetives ending in -ed to describe: «Feelings»
Only for people because things CAN NOT feel
The girls weren’t interested in the story
There was a great history teacher at school.
There were noisy children during breaktime
How to say years
- 1972 – ´nineteen hundred and seventy-two´ / ´nineteen seventy-two´
- 1854 – ´eighteen hundred and fifty-four´ / ´eighteen fifty-four´
- 2000 – ´two thousand´
- 2020 – ´two thousand twenty´
- 2003 – ´twenty oh three´
- 2012 – ´twenty twelve´
- 2020 ´twenty twenty´: There was the COVID pandemic in 2020.
The past of the verb “To Be”
Present vs Past
- I am
- You are
- He/she/it is
- We/you/they are
- I/He/She/it was
- We/you/they were
- I am in English 3 now
- I was in English 2 last cycle.
- My father is retired now
- he was an excellent worker
- They are divorced now
- They were married 6 years ago
Positive and Negative Sentences
I / he / she /is (was) -> wasn’t
We / You / They (were) – > weren-t
- Shakespeare was born in England.
- Mozart wasn’t born in Italy, he was born in Austria.
- The Wright brothers weren’t from England.
Was (I/he/she/it) at school yesterday?
Were (we/you/they) at chool yesterday?
- Was Michael yason English?
- Were you born in Perú?
Questions and Short Answers
Was he born in Huaraz?
Yes, he was.
No, he wasn’t.
Were you born in Huaraz?
Yes, I was.
No, I wasn’t.
There was / There were
Rememer -> There was is the past of There is / There were is the past of There are
There was / There wasn’t
There were / There weren’t
- There wasn’t a good library at school.
- There weren’t modern computers at school.
- Was there good internet connection? Yes, there was. / No, there wasn’t.
- Were there nice teachers at your school? Yes, there were. / No, there weren’t.